We believe in a small but efficient government. We are committed to reducing the size of cabinet and the cost of public administration to eliminate waste and improve efficiency. The following is our proposed list of portfolios for government ministries:
Necessary Constitutional and other amendments
- Amend the constitution to restore the provision of presidential term limits.
- Amend the constitution to provide for a two tier parliament; a lower and upper parliament (Senate) comprising of two senators per region as of 1962. Amend the constitution to reduce the size of the low parliament.
- Amend the constitution to reduce the size of parliament. Where a Member of Parliament should represent at least 200,000 persons.
- Amend the constitution to provide for appointment of the Chairman, Deputy Chairperson and Commissions of Electoral Commission from a list of eminent Ugandans nominated by political parties in parliament.
- Amend the constitution to provide a parliamentary position for all presidential candidates that poll at least 5% of the National voter in a general election.
- Amend the constitution to provide for dissolution of some power and resources from the central government to regional and local governments
Performance of Members of Parliament and Government Ministers
- Each MP will be required to submit to parliament within six (6) months of being elected a 5-year development plan outlining priority programmes and projects for his or her constituency. The plans will be developed with the help of technical support from relevant departments.
- A Constituency Development Fund will be established and funded with 1 percent of the National Budget.
- Each Minister will be required to present a brief on the strategic direction of his or her ministry before approval by parliament.
Citizens Protection Bureau
- Establish a Citizens Protection Bureau headed by the Public Defender with expanded powers to defend the rights of citizens.
- Make provision for judicial review of the decisions of the Direction of public prosecutions.
- Ensure sufficient funding and staffing for the Human Rights Commission.
Appointment to sensitive posts
- Appointment to sensitive posts listed below that ensure critical delivery of good governance, will require approval by 60% majority of parliamentary vote.